Internet Cover Letter
Many job seekers complain of applying online with cover letters for dozens (if not more) of positions on monster.com, careerbuilder.com or other job boards. What happens so much of the time? Absolutely nothing. While I do not have magic solutions or answers to this, let me share a perspective on what often happens on the other side. These insights have been shared by many friends and colleagues coming from that “other-side-of-the-desk” viewpoint.
Hiring managers or recruiters are flooded with many qualified responses to their advertised openings. In this economy, the numbers are more staggering than ever. They can give very little time to any one résumé or letter. Letters often do not get read at all, and yet they are still touted as important pieces to the document suite.
There are some tips that will improve chances of your online letter being read and hopefully, noted!
- Short paragraphs, no more than three lines.
- Hard space returns so the layout is broken up on the viewer’s page.
- Relevance! The letters should closely mirror back the job requirements.
- Bullets that are easy to read and to the point.
It is better to have no letter than an ineffective one. When sending e-mail letters or Internet postings, structure greatly impacts their success.
Internet Cover Letter: High Level Tips
- Quickly reference the job you are applying for
- Three to four bullets summarizing why you are the right candidate. These should absolutely align with the posting’s job requirements!
- Speedy, concise closing.
Internet Cover Letter: Sample Structure & Content
Dear ABC Company:
Your national account manager opening is a perfect fit with my background, so I’m excited to speak with you.
I do offer [and then list their position criteria around your career highlights]:
- 10 years’ experience in national account development targeting Fortune 100 companies
- 10 years’ experience training, developing and mentoring sales professionals
- MBA in Marketing
- CRM and Action Selling expertise
My accompanying résumé further highlights examples of my relevant qualifications and successes. I’d love to discuss how I could contribute in this role to meet your needs. Should you have any questions before scheduling an appointment, I can be reached at the phone number or email above.